Makeup 101: Colors

6:45 PM 0 Comments A+ a-



(I do apologize for not posting for a week, musical rehearsals are crazy!)

I had no idea what to title this post but colors seems really appealing so I decided to do that! Basically what I'm going to be talking about is colors that compliment your skin tone/eye color/hair color and everything in between. I'll mention how to find your skin color and your foundation match along with what eye shadow you should get for your _____ eyes. Of course you don't have to follow this to a T but I'm here to help so let's get started!

Skin Tone

Okay. So you may have noticed if you have pale skin or deep skin or somewhere in the middle but, there's a bit more to it than that. Your skin has undertones. There are three tones: yellow, neutral, pink. Yellow = Warm Complexion, Neutral = Neutral Complexion, Pink = Cool Complexion. You'd be surprised how many people wear the wrong color foundation, I wore foundation way to dark for me once.

I know that most of the time you can't tell exactly if you have warm or cool undertones right off the bat. I had no idea so I usually went with neutral undertones. In my opinion, the two best ways to tell what undertone you have is: a. Look at your veins, if they are more green then you have warm undertones and if they are more blue then you have cool undertones. If it's a blue-green then you have neutral undertones. b. You tend to look better in gold jewelry; warm. Better in silver; cool. You look flawless in both; neutral.

Of course I made a chart of this... I mean duh.



I understand that my chart isn't the cleanest thing and not the most natural looking skin tones... but it is a chart, better than words, right? I mean a picture is worth a thousand words sooooo.

So maybe you know what undertone you are now. Do you fit under fair, light, medium, tan, or dark skin? The examples of colors I have in those circles are good examples of fair, light, medium, tan, and dark skin.

Let's find a foundation that matches! (All of these foundations are buildable in coverage) First off, L'Oreal True Match is perfect for finding ANY kind of shade. There are 11 shades under every undertone (haha, under undertones 😋) and they have all three undertones which means, 33 different shades of foundation. So you will definitely find your shade!

If you have warm undertones - L'Oreal True Match is best for you from the drugstore! An amazing warm toned foundation that's expensive is the Urban Decay Naked Skin.

If you have neutral undertones - Of course, L'Oreal True Match... but another nice one is Revlon Colorstay! It comes in two different finishes with someone for dry/normal skin or combo/oily skin. Expensive: Too Faced Born This Way.

If you have cool undertones - (L'Oreal True Match) I love Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse! (I use it in the winter when I have cooler undertones) It feels really luxurious on my skin when I wear it and it feels very light on my skin. If you want a more expensive Urban Decay recently released new cool shades of their Naked Skin foundation.

Eyes

I'm pretty sure you know about eye colors so no chart for eye color. I'll explain what eye shadow colors look amazing with certain eye colors, of course wear whatever eye shadow you want to wear! This is just to help out beginners! This section will be really quick though, I promise. I'll give you a couple eye shadow recommendations (MAC and/or Makeup Geek) So, most of the time opposites of the color wheel really bring out a person's eyes...

If you have blue eyes - Like I said, opposites of the color wheel looks great with your eyes! So in a blue eyed girl's case an orangey-ish red will great! Also chocolatey browns with or browns with a cool tone look GORGEOUS! Here's a couple recommendations: Makeup Geek Barcelona Beach, MAC Omega and MAC Brown Down. (If you're super adventurous try MAC Red Brick!)

If you have green eyes - I actually have green eyes so, I know a lot about what looks great on green eyes. Basically any eye shadow with a red tone looks great. So warm toned browns, pinks, purples, and reds are right up your ally! Here's some recommendations: Makeup Geek Frappe, Makeup Geek Cocoa Bear, MACHaux and MAC All That Glitters. (If you're super adventurous try MAC Indian Ink!)

If you have brown eyes - Let's go with some lighter eye looks! If you wanted to wear some crazy colors then you definitely have the eyes to pull it off! You basically look good in everything except cool toned browns. Hit up those warm tones and gorgeous olives! Recommendations: Makeup Geek Brown Sugar, Makeup Geek Frappe, MAC Sumptuous Olive, MAC Tempting and MAC Gorgeous Gold. (If you're super adventurous try MAC Kelly!)

If you have hazel eyes - Congratulations! You have the golden ticket! Every. Single. Color. Looks. Incredible. On. You. I'm not joking. So use ANY of the eye shadow recommendations I put up there ▲ !

I hope this post was helpful! xo