Makeup 101: Face

9:44 PM 2 Comments A+ a-



Alright. Let's get started with da face, shall we? Your base of da face. This post is probably going to be very rambly because I LOVE FACE MAKEUP. Okay. Let's get started!

I'm going to go over everything. As in all the things you put on your face, what I recommend for beginners/intermediate/advanced and coverage wise light/medium/full. Don't worry, I won't go into skin too much but there will be a little bit on skin because your skin is your canvas, you want it to be really nice and clear. I'll first be talking about all of the face makeup. Yes, I said all of it.

Primer - Everyone - I consider primer as a transition between your skin care routine and makeup routine. If you have dry skin, use a hydrating primer. If you have oily skin, use an oil-free primer. I think you get the drill right now. Primers are kind of expensive but if you don't want to spend $30 on a primer, go with an e.l.f. Primer! All of them are really great! I really love their green primer.

BB/CC Cream - Anyone - BB stands for 'beauty balm' and CC stands for 'color correcting'. BB/CC Creams have a light coverage and a light consistency which usually has sunscreen in them. If you want just a little bit of coverage to make you look a bit more polished, pick up a BB Cream, I LOVE both of the Maybelline ones. If you want to actually cover something, hit up a CC Cream, my favorite is the one from Almay.

Foundation (!!) - Intermediate/Advanced - Can you tell I loooooveeee foundation? I think I would marry my Urban Decay Naked Skin if I could. Foundation is really nice for making your face look flawless. You can choose from a lot of different foundations with different claims and different formulas. There's also different two main types of foundation: Liquid Foundation (Ex. UD Naked Skin) and Powder Foundation (Ex. bare minerals Original Foundation) Each of them have their perks, use a liquid foundation for dry/normal/combo skin and a powder foundation for oily/combo/normal skin.

Powder - Anyone - This is different then powder foundation, you use powder to set your foundation or for a little bit of coverage. You can use a pressed powder with a skin colored tone to set your makeup and give a teeny bit more coverage. Or you could use it on its own for a little bit of coverage.

Concealer - Anyone - You can use concealer for under-eyes or for pimples. You can get liquid/cream/powder/pot concealer. Liquid is used for covering under-eyes and discoloration. A cream or pot concealer is used for color-correcting. Powder is used for oily under-eyes. I love all of the Maybelline and NYX concealers.

Bronzer/Contour - Intermediate/Advanced - A bronzer is used to warm up your face by placing it on the high points of your face where a contour is used to carve out shadows in your face. Bronzer is easy to use because you could lightly dust it around your face and on your nose and look very warm and lit from within. Contouring is a little hard because you have to use different contouring "shapes" for different face shapes. I can't really describe how to contour...

Blush - Anyone - Blush is used to give you that natural pinched cheeks. I think a cream blush is easiest to apply because you can make it look as light or harsh as you want and apply it with your fingers. A blush should be applied on your apples of your cheeks and then blend it up lightly to the side of your face.

Highlight - Intermediate/Advanced - Highlight often gives people a "feel pretty" moment, like me, you put it on your cheekbones. Like exactly on your cheekbones. It makes them look bigger and gorgeous! You can use a cream highlight to make it easier by just applying and blending with your fingers. I love the Benefit Watt's Up highlighter. Or a cheaper powder option is the Wet'n'Wild ColorIcon "Bronzer" in Reserve your Cabana.

Setting Spray - Anyone - This is totally not necessary. I don't use one normally. This sets your makeup and keeps it on a lot longer. This isn't totally necessary unless you have combo/oily skin where your makeup starts to fade during the day because of your oils.

Applying Face Makeup

So I briefly talked about application in those quick sum-ups. Mainly I want to talk about applying foundation because not a lot of people know how exactly to apply foundation for their specific skin type.  Here's a chart because I love making charts. (The chart is acting up weird on the blog, click on it for it to not be blurry)



There really isn't a specific "rule" for applying foundation. I do recommend the if you have a lick of dry skin on your face that you should use a sponge though. For a sponge I recommend the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge (TOTAL dupe for the $20 beautyblender), for a buffing brush I recommend the e.l.f. Ultimate Blending Brush, it lasts FOREVER and is super easy to clean.

I hope this post was helpful! xo

2 comments

Write comments
Kenzie
AUTHOR
11.4.16 delete

Great post, Meena! That was very helpful and I cannot wait to purchase these products. :)

xx Mackenzie

Reply
avatar
meena
AUTHOR
11.4.16 delete

Yay! I'm so happy that it was helpful!

Reply
avatar